VACATION HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS for
Mr. Jonathan LITTEN
NOTE: ALL VACATION WORK DUE ON TUESDAY 1-10-17!! No Excuses!
- Complete a reading log including the film The Village and Lord of the Flies. You should use the themes of “Fear” and “Fear as form of control” to guide your log. Remember, this is two pages and handwritten in your notebooks. Also, you may try to include some of the Visual Rhetoric skills as part of your analysis.
- Read through Pg.168 in Lord of the Flies. You may take notes on your reading. Whatever notes you take you may use on your reading quiz when you return.
- Work on Writing Portfolio.
- Use Nelson’s guidelines to find a journal that you are comfortable with. This should be separate from all of your other school notebooks. Remember, the journal is a place set aside for your writing. Write at least 2 journal entries each week during your break. These entries do not need to be long. I will not read them, but I will look to make sure they are completed. Complete six(6) total journal entries. When you write in your journal, practice seeing with “soft eyes.”
- Complete one Travel Writing Piece for your Writing Portfolio.
- Finish reading Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Make sure you have a strong understanding of the novel. You will create an Alternative Book Report. Rather than telling what the story is about, you find an interesting way to make a connection to the story.
Click HERE for examples of ABR’s.
There are over 30 examples here. The trick is to find a creative and interesting way to present your story. Do not summarize.
Write a half-page explanation of your work. Your explanations will show why you made the choices you made.
- Please create a Video Diary from your vacation. The Video Diary is a video recording of you talking. You must complete at least 3 entries in your diary. Each entry should be 3 minutes long.
Use the diary to talk about your trip, life at home, your interests, and ideas. You may be as creative as you like. Students in the past have taken their videos at different locations during their trips. But remember, you must speak during your diary. The only requirement is that your diary include 3 minutes of speaking. You will need to save your videos in a shareable platform such as YouTube. We will present after the break. Make sure you prove that you are completing your video during your break by showing the date of each entry.